Tuesday 15 July 2014

Unit 2 – Our environment

Unit 2 – Our environment

What's your green knowledge? (p. 21)
- bn: (US b) written abbreviation for billion.
- burgeoning: /ˈbɜːdʒənɪŋ/ (adj) growing very quickly : a burgeoning population.
- deplete: /dɪˈpliːt/ (v) to reduce the amount of something, especially a natural supply: Alcohol depletes the body of B vitamins. deplition (n) /dɪˈpliːʃən/
- gross: (adj) TOTAL › A gross amount of money has not had taxes or other costs taken from it: gross earnings / profit. SERIOUS [always before noun] formal › very serious or unacceptable: gross misconduct. UNPLEASANT informal › very unpleasant: Oh, yuck. That's really gross.
- poultry: /ˈpəʊltri/ BIRDS [plural] › chickens and other birds that people breed for meat and eggs. MEAT [U] › the meat of chickens and other birds eaten as food.

Can the Earth keep up with human consumption? (p. 22)
- airtight: (adj) An airtight container does not allow air in or out.
- intrepid: (adj) brave and willing to do dangerous things: intrepid travellers.
- share sth out: (ph.v.) to divide something into smaller amounts and give one amount to each person in a group: Profits are shared out equally among members of the group.

Geologists press for recognition of Earth-changing 'human epoch' (p. 24)
- acrimony: /ˈækrɪməni/ (n) angry , bad feelings between people.
- blip: (n) CHANGE › a small , temporary , and usually negative change from what usually happens : The rise in unemployment may just be a blip. SOUND/LIGHT › a small spot of light on an electronic screen, sometimes with a short, high sound.
- compelling: EXCITING › very exciting or interesting and making you want to watch, listen , etc: a compelling story. TRUE › If a reason, argument, etc is compelling, it makes you believe it or accept it because it is so strong: compelling evidence.
- die out: (ph.v.) to become more and more rare and then disappear completely: Dinosaurs died out about 65 million years ago.
- epithet: /ˈep.ɪ.θet/ (n) an adjective added to a person's name or a phrase used instead of it, usually to criticize or praise them: The singer's 104-kilo frame earned him the epithet of 'Man Mountain ' in the press .
- fallout: (n) the radiation (= powerful and dangerous energy ) from a nuclear explosion.
- fraught: /frɔːt/ (adj) fraught with danger/difficulties, etc › full of danger / difficulties , etc: The present situation is fraught with danger. mainly UK causing worry , or feeling worried: a fraught silence. Is everything okay ? You're looking a bit fraught.
- nitpick: (v) to find faults in details that are not important: Must you nitpick all the time?
- ownership: (n) the right of owning something.
- PCB: abbreviation for polychlorinated biphenyl: a harmful chemical that is used in industry.
- shater: (v) BREAK [I, T] › to break into very small pieces, or to make something break into very small pieces : Someone threw a stone at the car , shattering the windscreen. DESTROY [T] › to destroy something good, such as your confidence, hopes, or belief in something: The accident completely shattered her confidence.
- shift: (n) CHANGE › a change in something: There has been a dramatic shift in public opinion on this matter. WORK B2 a period of work in a place such as a factory or hospital: afternoon / night shift. He works an eight-hour shift. COMPUTER (also shift key) › the key on a computer keyboard which allows you to create a capital letter (= a large letter of the alphabet used at the beginning of sentences and names).


Listening – Part 2 – page 27

- appetizing: /ˈæpɪtaɪzɪŋ/ (adj) If food is appetizing, it looks or smells as if it will taste good.

- den: (n) the home of particular types of wild animal.

- elk: › US for wapiti (= a large deer with brownish-red fur and large antlers (= horns like branches ) that lives in the forests of North America ) › UK for moose /muːs/.

- gaunt: /ɡɔːnt/ very thin, especially because of being sick or old: a pale, gaunt face.

- growl: /ɡraʊl/ If a dog or similar animal growls, it makes a deep , angry noise in its throat.

- howl: /haʊl/ (v) ANIMAL › If a dog or wolf (= wild animal like a dog ) howls, it makes a long , sad sound. MAKE SOUND › to make a loud sound , usually to express pain, sadness, or another strong emotion: He howled in pain. The audience was howling with laughter.

- nip: (v) nip down/out/up, etc UK informal › to go somewhere quickly and for a short time: I'm just nipping down the road to get a paper. › [T] If something nips you, it gives you a small, sharp bite: His parrot nipped him on the nose.

- pack: (n) a group of animals, such as dogs, that live and/or hunt together: a wolf pack. a pack of wild dogs.

- restrained: (adj) acting in a calm and controlled way: I was expecting him to be furious but he was very restrained.

- rugged: /ˈrʌɡɪd/ LAND › If an area of land is rugged, it looks rough and has lots of rocks : a rugged coastline. MAN› If a man looks rugged, his face looks strong and attractive : a rugged face.

- snarl: (v) /snɑːl/ If an animal snarls, it shows its teeth and makes an angry sound.

- worn: (adj) Worn clothing or objects have been used a lot and show damage: a worn leather chair.

Vocabulary 
page 27: 5- Collocations
 

page 27: 6- Idioms




5 comments:

  1. I'm very happy being Herpes free now. It was a sad incident that was announced to me after the check up in the hospital and I was diagnosed of HSV 2. I thank God now for using Dr.odey Abang to cure my virus. I'm not ashamed to say this because no virus of such can be detected in me. I'm Charlotte from Columbia. I thought about it many Times when I heard about this Herbal cures for Herpes. I was really happy when I came across blogs of comments of Doctors who run cures sicknesses and was comfortable to try Dr. Abang from patients testimony I came across here on my online page. I knew now they are real Africa herbalists who run cures for Herpes. There's every opportunity to be cure with natural herbs, because all medical prescriptions are derived from herbs and roots. Its really hard time living with Herpes on drugs which can't get you cure. I tried this and I can boost of myself now as a woman. I need to be loved not to lost, get your instant cure to all sicknesses from Dr, Odey Abang.
    He cures HSV,HPV,Cancer,low spam count and much more from the evidence I saw 💯 % sure no site effects with active immune booster

    Email him for you cure
    Odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am here to appreciate Dr Olori for using his herbal medicine to cure my Herpes virus. since 6years now I have been living with this virus and it has been giving me challenges, I was so perplexed cause i have been taking several drugs to be cured but all of my effort was in vian, until i saw a review on https://dr-olori-ancient-traditional-healing.business.site/ bout Dr. Olori cures people from Herpes virus and immediately i contacted Dr. Olori on his email: droloriherbalcenter@gmail.com , i told him about my troubles and he told me that i must be cured, gave me some instructions and which i rightly followed. so he prepared a herbal medicine for me and sent it to me which i used for 14 days in 7 days of taking the herbs i couldn't trace any symptoms of herpes and aster 14 days i went for a proper test to see that it was totally gone, why don't you contact him today and be free from your diseases he's a great holistic healer. Contact him via email; droloriherbalcenter@gmail.com or whatsApp him on +2348110492548.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to share my testimony about Doctor babaiba who helped me.. i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 1/2 ) by Dr babaiba , i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Doctor babaiba cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took for just 2 weeks and it seriously worked for me, my HERPES result came out negative. I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that there is no cure for herpes that is Not true just contact him and get your Dr babaiba healing herbal cure of all kinds of sickness you may have like
    #CANCER,
    #DIABETES,
    #HIV
    #AIDS,
    #Herpes
    #Std
    #URINARYTRACT #INFECTION,
    #CANCER,
    #IMPOTENCE,
    #BARENESS
    #INFERTILITY
    #DIARRHEA
    #ASTHMA
    #SIMPLEXHERPES #GENITAL
    #COLDSORE
    . he also cure my friend from cervical #cancer Email: drbabaibaherbalsolutiontemple@gmail.com OR
    call or WHATAPP +2348140046509 I am forever greaful ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cured from herpes with the herbal medicine from,.. R.buckler11 @gmail. com..............................

    ReplyDelete