Wednesday 19 February 2014

COLLOCATION

COLLOCATION: Which one word fits all three sentences?Parte superior do formulário

1-
a) I was a beginner surrounded by experts and felt totally out of my .........
b) In the news conference the police will explain the case in greater ........
c) What's the ........ of the swimming pool at the far end?


2-

a) As the clock ........ twelve I felt quite nervous alone in the house.

b) He ........ a match to try to see where he was going.

c) I ........ your name off the list as you'd told me you didn't want to go on the tour after all.


3-
a) They set up camp at the ........ of the mountain and prepared to begin their ascent.
b) Her father put his ........ down and insisted that she come home before it got dark.
c) He didn't put a ........ wrong during the interview and he's hopeful that he'll get the job.


4-
a) When this Government came to ......... they promised the voters so much.
b) I'll do everything in my ........ to help you, but I don't know if it will do any good.

c) In recent years the balance of ........ has drifted even more towards the USA.


5-
a) I didn't want to disturb you as you seemed to be ........ in thought.
b) He took a ........ breath and then dived in.

c) I was in a very ........ sleep when all of a sudden I was woken up by this loud noise from outside.



6-

a) He talks and talks but never seems to get to the .........

b) Whenever I go back to London I always make a ........ of visiting some of my old friends.
c) I know you're ill, but that's beside the ........ You still should have phoned to say you weren't coming in to work.



7-

a) I shouted at the ........ of my voice but he didn't hear me.

b) Could you tell me what the sales figures were for last month off the ........ of your head?

c) I'm going into the office early today to try to get on ........ of my work.



8-

a) It was an extremely busy junction and the roads criss-......... each other in several places.

b) Keep your fingers ........ for me before the exam, won't you?

c) He double-........ a fellow villain and had to go into hiding.

9-


a) The message was written in ........ and was impossible to read.

b) The club has a very strict dress ........ and you will not be allowed in unless you're dressed in a suit and tie.

c) Could you tell me what the area ........ is for London, please?

10- 
a) He was offered a ........ in the company if he lent them the money they needed.
b) More than 20,000 jobs are at ........ if the company closes.
c) She intends to ........ a claim to be world champion this year.

11- 
a) The police suspect ........ play following the discovery of the body.
b) He's a very strict teacher and comes down extremely heavily on anyone using ........ language.
c) The player was sent off after committing a nasty ........ on the number 7.

12- 
a) You will be hearing from us in due .........
b) The two cars were on a collision ........ when one of the drivers managed to swerve off the road.
c) Over the ........ of several months the police built up a wealth of evidence that implicated the suspect.

13-
a) He was offered a ........ in a local stage play.
b) We were waiting to be seen for the best ........ of 2 hours!
c) She didn't want to take ........ in the game as she was a little shy.

14-
a) One of the MPs ........ a question to the Prime Minister.
b) After the wedding we all ........ for photographs outside the church.
c) Protesters claimed the new nuclear power station ........ a threat to the local environment.

15-
a) I don't think I've made a mistake but I'll ........-check just in case.
b) Some people claimed she practised ........ standards in the way she dealt with her colleagues.
c) We had to ........ back when we came to a dead end.

16-
a) It took a while but I was finally able to ........ out the answer.
b) He was a major ........ in the 19th century and influenced many artists of his generation.
c) 'As sick as a parrot' is a ........ of speech and means 'very disappointed'.

17-
a) Could you ........ the curtains please? It's beginning to get dark outside.
b) It's easy to ........ the conclusion that nobody in Government cares about the elderly.
c) I've got to go to the bank to ........ some money out.

18-
a) The homework was a ........ of cake. I finished it in no time at all.
b) The police say they will ........ together all the evidence they have before deciding on their next course of action.
c) Does the machine take a 20 pence ........ ?

19- 
a) The children stood in a neat ........ waiting to go into school.
b) Terry hasn't been selling many products lately and apparently his job is on the .........
c)  His parents are quite laid back but they draw the ........ at bad language.

20- 
1. We waited ages for a bus to arrive and at long ........ one came along 30 minutes late.
2. You're the ........ person I expected to see in a gym. You're a real couch potato!
3. And ........ but not least, don't forget to have an early night the day before the exam.

21- 
a) Nobody has ........ responsibility for the attack.
b) The war has so far ........ over 1000 lives.
c) Have you ........ your travel expenses from work yet?


22- 
a) I'll just make a ........ of your name and phone number and I'll get back to you shortly.
b) A few minor TV celebrities were the only people of ........ at the party.
c) I took ........ of everything that was said in the meeting.

23- "to ........ a role"
His family ........ a major role in his decision to leave work and open up his own business. 

24-
a) There is a weather ........ approaching from the west.
b) She's been in ........ for the whole race and looks like staying there.
c) How are things on the business ........ ?

25- "to ........ the scene"
The opening page ........ the scene and then the action starts almost immediately.

a) lays          b) sets          c) places          d) does

26- "to ........ the time"

Our daughter is only 6 and she can already ........ the time.

a) speak          c) do           d) tell          e) say

27-
a) The experiment was a complete failure and they had to go back to the drawing ........
b) Changes to the workforce are far-reaching and will be felt across the .........
c) All the passengers were told to get on ........ the ship and prepare for departure.

28- "to ........ an escape". The party was really boring so as soon as I had the chance I ........ my escape and went home.

a) got b) took c) did d) made

29- "the weather........ ". Have you heard the weather .......... for today? I don't know if I should take an umbrella out with me.
a) weather b) estimate c) forecast d) prediction

30-
a) He hadn't ridden a bike before and couldn't keep his ........ . 
b) I'm just going to the bank to check my ........
c) On ........, I think it was a really good film.

 

31- "to ........ your head". When the accident happened everyone panicked except for the driver, who ........ his head and tried to calm others down.
a) set b) saved c) kept d) retained


32-  "........ as you are told". Listen, ........ as you're told and turn the TV off. It's time for dinner.
a) behave b) act c) do d) make

33-
a) There's no need to get up from that chair on my .......... - I can sit on this one instead.
b) The legibility of your handwriting will be taken into ........... when your writing paper is graded.
c) The witnesses to the car crash each gave a conflicting ............. of how the accident happened.
 


34-  "to ........ speed". As the car came round the corner it ........ speed and raced off down the road.
a) climbed b) grew c) collected d) gathered



35-  "to ........ excuses". Don't ........ excuses for him. He should have been here hours ago.
a) make b) do c) say d) use

36-
a) We have brought our children up to have ........ for the environment.
b) I am writing with ........ to your letter sent on the 20th August.
c) I have always had the greatest ........ for people who do voluntary work.

37- "to put in a ........ word". I'm seeing the boss this afternoon. I'll put in a ........ word about you. It might help you with your request for promotion.
a) special b) pleasant c) nice d) good

38- "........ as you are told". Listen, ........ as you're told and turn the TV off. It's time for dinner.
a) behave b) act c) do d) make

39-
a) I don't disagree with your view of the problem, it's your solution I take ........ with.
b) Have you seen the latest ........ of 'Computer World'?
c) The crucial ........ is whether or not the defendant was ever at the scene of the crime.

40- "to ........ someone's patience". The way they play their music so loud is really ........ my patience.
a) playing b) pushing c) testing d) pulling
41-  "to be ........ arrest". After several hours of questioning the police finally placed the man ........ arrest.
a) in b) on c) under d) at




 

KEY:
1- depth
2- struck
3- foot
4- power
5- deep
6- point 
7- top 
8- crossed 
9- code 
10- stake 
11- foul 
12- course 
13- part 
14- posed 
15- double 
16- figure 
17- draw 
18- piece
19- line
20- last
21- claimed
22- note
23- play
24- front 
25- b) 
26- d) 
27- board
28- d)
29- c)
30- balance
31- c)
32- c)
33- account
34- d)
35- a)
36- respect
37- d)
38- c)
39- issue
40- c)
41- c)


 
REFERENCE:


Word Bank: Collocation. Available on http://www.flo-joe.co.uk/cpe/students/wordbank/colloc.htm

Collocation. Available on http://www.flo-joe.co.uk/cae/students/wordbank/colloc.htm

























SOURCES (IMAGES):
MyEnglishTeacher.eu. Available on https://www.facebook.com/myenglishteachers?fref=ts

Teaching English - Learn English Online. Available on https://www.facebook.com/Learn.Special.English

2 comments:

  1. this is very informative and interesting for those who are interested in blogging field.
    You should take a look at genuine free minecraft gift codes 2019

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very happy being Herpes free now. It was a sad incident that was announced to me after the check up in the hospital and I was diagnosed of HSV 2. I thank God now for using Dr.odey Abang to cure my virus. I'm not ashamed to say this because no virus of such can be detected in me. I'm Charlotte from Columbia. I thought about it many Times when I heard about this Herbal cures for Herpes. I was really happy when I came across blogs of comments of Doctors who run cures sicknesses and was comfortable to try Dr. Abang from patients testimony I came across here on my online page. I knew now they are real Africa herbalists who run cures for Herpes. There's every opportunity to be cure with natural herbs, because all medical prescriptions are derived from herbs and roots. Its really hard time living with Herpes on drugs which can't get you cure. I tried this and I can boost of myself now as a woman. I need to be loved not to lost, get your instant cure to all sicknesses from Dr, Odey Abang.
    He cures HSV,HPV,Cancer,low spam count and much more from the evidence I saw 💯 % sure no site effects with active immune booster

    Email him for you cure
    Odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete